What a Ph. D. Really is, An Illlustration

I saw this post in my Facebook feed which was posted by awesome people I know. It talks, or err, more on illustrated about what Ph. D. is truly about. Nope, I don't have plans on getting one, but I don't know if I am considering it in the future. Learning and discovering have been in my addiction list since last year. I should consult studies about addiction on how to stay sane, should I?

So, just to share, here is his illustration on what a Ph. D. is.

Imagine a circle that contains all of human knowledge:

By the time you finish elementary school, you know a little:
By the time you finish high school, you know a bit more:
With a bachelor's degree, you gain a specialty:
A master's degree deepens that specialty:
Reading research papers takes you to the edge of human knowledge:
Once you're at the boundary, you focus:
You push at the boundary for a few years:
Until one day, the boundary gives way:
And, that dent you've made is called a Ph.D.:
Of course, the world looks different to you now:
So, don't forget the bigger picture:
Keep pushing.

Thanks to Matt Might's interpretation. This illustration is originally published here. He was too generous to license the sharing of this work.

Business school has really opened my eyes to learning once again, dusting off some rustic surfaces of my cobwebbed brain. So right now, I have to eat dinner. Wash some rags. And study for my Management quiz tomorrow. And maybe browse some Financial Planning resources that I need to master this month! The exam is coming and I should pass it. So, bye for now, doves. Never stop learning.

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic of Falling in Love with A Reader

In Case of Housemate Disputes, Smile

Weekly Wishes { Week 4 | May 2014 }